Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Trip to the Pumpkin Patch & a Thought

Today Alyanna is 7 months old and to celebrate we went to a local orchard (Adrian Orchard).





We had a wonderful time. While browsing, and buying organic apples and baking pumpkins to use in making Alyanna's food, I got to thinking about what more I can do to make environmentally friendly and healthy choices for my family. I truly believe we need to be doing more. I want Alyanna to start her life instinctively making healthy environmentally friendly choices.


So I have made some resolutions:


1. I have gotten a composter, so that kitchen waste can be composted and used in the garden I'm going to plant next year.


2. We are going to attempt to get our produce from local organic growers, or at least as much as we can.


3. I am resolving to cut excess packaging we purchase by 1/2.


4. (the biggest commitment) We are going to get a small wind turbine and a small solar panel to see if we can just run our laptops, cell phones, and ipods from carbonless energy sources.


I'm not sure if this will make a dent in our electric bill, but it can't hurt and if it works then we can always expand. I'm pretty sure we are going to have some funny moments trying to set all of this up so stay tuned...



2 comments:

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too October 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM  

She is a doll! Good luck with all the changes you are making!

mrs.notouching October 17, 2009 at 9:54 PM  

That's a wonderful idea! I can't wait to hear all about it and hopefully get inspired - we've been talking about doing some of the same things... I guess they were right - kids do make you a better person =)