Friday, July 17, 2009

Does Maternity Leave Harm Our Careers?

This is an article from the ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter:

Jack Welch: Women Take Time Off for Kids at Their Peril
Posted Jul 16, 2009,
By Debra Cassens Weiss
Former General Electric CEO
Jack Welch thinks women who take time off for family are making a risky career move. Speaking to Human Resource Management at its annual conference on June 28, Welch said women who take time off for family could be passed over for
promotions if they are “not there in the clutch,” the Wall Street Journal (sub. req.) reports.

“There's no such thing as work-life balance," Welch said. "There are work-life choices, and you make them, and they have consequences." Welch said women who take time off can still "have a nice career," but their chances of reaching the top are smaller, according to the Wall Street Journal account. "We'd love to have more women moving up faster," he said. "But they've got to make the tough choices and know the consequences of each one."

The Am Law Daily noted the story and interviewed a
lawyer with a different viewpoint. Chantal Kordula, a partner at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, told the publication that she took off five months after the birth of each of her three children, and still made partner, albeit in a longer time frame.
She went back to a full schedule when she returned to
work, but sometimes fits in afternoon parenting duties, according to the Am Law Daily. "You just need to do what works for you and let the chips fall where they may," she told the publication.


Personally I believe this country doesn't get how important developing and nurturing a mother/child bond is. However, I totally understand that I have choices to make, and those choices have consequences. I am not so naive to believe that I truly can have it all and someone not pay the price for my choices (namely that would be my daughter paying that price). I am just so very grateful that I have those choices, when not too long ago my path in life would have been chosen for me. For me, I "chose" to take a little time off (I use the word "chose" loosely as I was on bedrest for 4.5 months and of that could not work at all for 1 of those months), I also took 10 weeks off after Alyanna's birth. I am now working a modified schedule and have taken a reduction in salary. This allows me to continue to pursue my career and give me the ability to be fully present in my daughters life. The consequences for me (the reduction in salary and increased time to make partner) are worth it, because I am giving Alyanna the best start I can and still maintaining my own aspirations.

1 comments:

mrs.notouching August 4, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

So I am finally getting around to leave you a comment =) I used to work in HR and personally was in the room when a VP said: "She just had a second baby. I can't trust her to be here when I really need her". And that is how she lost a significant promotion without even knowing it... After years of witnessing women in high power positions I have to agree - “there's no such thing as work-life balance, only choices". Neither one of them is better or worse, but somehow you feel better when YOU are the one who makes that choice. Good for you and I hope that one day I can slowly transition back into my career.