Thursday, July 30, 2009

Points of View

I have been thinking over the past several months about how my views on many issues have changed or been altered due to my new status as mother.

1. (I know this could open a can of worms) My view on abortion. I have never thought it was right, but I was somewhat ambivalent about it. I still don't think the government should be codifying morality (I feel very strongly about that aspect) but just the thought of abortion (even the word) effects me physically, in a way that it never has before.

2. My view on feminism. (Again another can of worms). At one point in my life I had no desire to be at home and thought any woman who did was selling herself short. Now, there is no place I would rather be, than at home raising my little girl. There are some very militant feminists who think that no woman should stay home with their children (and apparently I was one of those women) but now I see the feminist movement in a different light. I now see it as being about allowing women to make choices instead of being forced one way or the other. What gets me upset are the women who feel that they are entitled to something, that they don't have to choose because they can have it all. What some women forget is there are consequences for our choices. Personally I choose to work fewer hours (therefore making less money) so that I can spend more time with my child. That is my choice.

3. My view on sleep. While I used to think sleep was a necessity I have come to view it as more of a luxury. My baby girl is a great sleeper but I have found that doesn't really matter, I will never sleep as soundly as I did before she was born.

4. My view on breasts. It had always been my desire to breastfeed, but before I actually did it, I viewed my breasts as being my own. Now I no longer see them that way...they no longer belong to me they are now Alyanna's...at least until she is weaned. I don't think I will ever view them in a sexual way again, but that's okay with me...mine were never that great anyway.

I guess this is just the start of how my views have changed...I could go on and on...maybe I should make this a recurring post.

1 comments:

mrs.notouching August 4, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

I think a lot of people are misinformed about what feminism is. It is not about being one thing or another - it is about having the right to choose.

And yes, you should make this a recurring post =)